Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Veggie Bite

Veggie Bite is a 100% vegan fast food restaurant. I went to the South-side location because it's only about 25 minutes away from me. The big question I have is - why didn't I know about this months ago??

The first time I went, I had the Fajita Wrap. I don't know what I was expecting, but this thing was huge. I ended up eating it over the span of three meals. I could have eaten it in 2 meals, probably. I bet I could have eaten it all in one go if I fasted for a day or two beforehand, but I'm not that dedicated to fajitas (yet!). It was so delicious though. Messy, very messy, so don't try to eat this in a car or riding a bike, but fine as long as you have a napkin on hand. The most impressive part was how well-proportioned all the ingredients were! There is nothing worse than biting into a wrap and getting a mouthful of iceberg lettuce (well, maybe biting into a wrap and getting a mouthful of cockroaches or something would be worse). Not a problem here!

My friend Andrea ordered the Buffalo on Rye. She described it as, "Delightful!" I had a bite and the fake chicken was really good - way better than Boca. Although it freaked me out a little. I think that if it came from a restaurant that was not completely meat-free then I would have been very suspicious.

I also ordered some BBQ nuggets (this is a sad picture) that I think were baked BBQ tofu. These smelled so good in the car-ride back home and they did not disappoint. I don't think that they are meant to imitate meat at all and I liked that especially.

Andrea and I also split a very tasty strawberry shake (although I don't think anything will beat the shake I had from Sip in Portland).

I don't have any pictures from the second time I went to Veggie Bite, but I'll write about it anyway.

I ordered a burrito and was pleased to find that it was distinctly different from the fajita wrap, although equally large. I think it was wrapped in a spinach tortilla - fun! Green!

My brother ordered either a chili dog or a chili-cheese dog, which he was pleased with but didn't seem crazy about. He also had a gyro and he was VERY happy with that. The only problem he had was that the pita fell apart.

There are still several things on the menu that I would like to try and I am excited to visit Veggie Bite again.

No comments: