Saturday, June 7, 2008

Old Pictures

I'm not really in the habit of taking pictures of my food, so these are the handful that I already had on my computer. I'm hoping that having a food blog will prompt me to photograph my food and review it (as opposed to shoving it in my mouth as fast as possible).

Sugar Cookie! I have a huge bag of cookie-cutters that I bought off of ebay and this is the only one I can't identify. Well, I think it's a two-headed (and no-bottom) cat but that seems unlikely. I never iced these cookies because the original icing I made was too runny and I'm a quitter. They were perfect plain though, which is the sign of a truly amazing sugar cookie.

Seitan Portobello Stroganoff from Vegan with a Vengeance. There's not really a way to get stroganoff to not look gross. But don't be put off by its resemblance to cat vomit! This strogie is delicious! I love stroganoff when I was an omni and this recipe is pretty similar except for the genius addition of mushrooms and peas.
S'mores cupcakes from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. These were good even though I managed to grate more chocolate onto the floor and table than onto the actual cupcakes. Also, don't stick the graham cracker in until right before eating - it becomes soft.

The first seitan I ever made! Look at it, wearing its little tinfoil coat. I'm pretty sure that I used the recipe for baked chicken seitan from Don't Eat Off the Sidewalk II. I had never had seitan before and I was really apprehensive and nervous about eating it. After eating a slice, I might have done a victory lap around the kitchen.
I used to eat an insane amount of portobello mushrooms because it was the only thing that I knew how to cook really quickly and with little other ingredients. And I could just throw other things in with it (like green beans!). These are probably the portobellos from Vegan with a Vengeance and are cooked with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and garlic. Anyway, you can't go wrong with portobellos. Even if they have unidentifiable green slime on the bottom of the cap. Wash it off and fry it and you will live! [Try at your own risk.]

Pizza and sauce from Vegan with a Vengeance. Topped with portobellos, onions, garlic, and some sort of small mushroom (either cremini or baby portobello, probably). And my dad's fingers. I think he is just rearranging things because he doesn't eat wheat/gluten. Or mushrooms. Or broccoli. I think I still have some of this dough in my freezer and I keep meaning to look for it but then get distracted by the other food.

Jelly Donut Cupcakes from Veganomicon. The jelly is supposed to sink all the way inside but there is something charming about cupcakes that seemed to have gaping wounds. I think next time I will add some cinnamon and cinnamon sugar to them, to punch them up a bit.

Falafel from Vegan with a Vengeance in my tiny Kitchenaid mixer. I really wanted to buy a Kitchenaid appliance and this one was the only one that fit into my price range. Of course, I can only make half a batch of falafel at a time. I'm sure this is the first of many times that I will mention falafel. Mmm... falafel.


Vanilla Cupcake with Vanilla Buttercream frosting from Vegan with a Vengeance. These were the first vegan thing I baked! And they were yummy. It's a volcano! The sprinkles that aren't lava-colored are dinosaurs. I only make apocalyptic cupcakes.

That's it for now!

No comments: