Monday, June 9, 2008

Spicy Peanut Eggplant Soup

From Veganomicon. Now that it is 90-degrees outside, I have been badly craving soup. I'm sure that's normal and there is no cause for concern. I wasn't sure what to expect taste-wise, because I only eat eggplant once a year or so, but I was not disappointed! This is a very hearty soup, although it's harder to tell after it has been pureed. It's very thick as there is a whole eggplant in here, a yellow onion, and half a bag of frozen green beans! I couldn't really taste the green beans and I don't know if leaving the soup as-is (instead of blending it) would have left more of the flavor. I wouldn't really consider it a significant loss though, considering how full of flavor the soup is. My only complaint about this dish is that there is a lot of waiting between steps. And I think I will add a bit more peanut butter the next time I make it because it was rather subtle.

Oh, and don't put the spatula/spoon that you use to make this soup on the counter because the turmeric will stain it. Oops!

No comments: