Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Sweetpea Baking Company


I have read a lot about how amazing Sweetpea Baking Company is so it was on the top of my list of places to go while in Portland. My vacation fell on Father's Day and I thought it would be really awesome of me to get my dad a cake (I'm kind of the best daughter ever - Hi, Dad!) - not an easy task considering my veganism and his multiple allergies. So I called up Sweetpea and explained my dilemma to Lisa (the owner). They only make vegan goods so I didn't need to mention that, but I needed the cake to be gluten-free, soy-free, and banana-free as well. That seemed like a pretty tall order to me but Lisa was basically like, "Of course we can make that! *carefree laughter*" Excitement! Anticipation!

The cake was chocolate with coconut frosting. I knew it would be good because Sweetpea prides itself on how good their gluten-free goods (do you know how hard it is to find yummy vegan AND gluten-free goodies? VERY HARD.). I completely underestimated just how good this cake was going to be. My dad said that this was the best gluten-free cake he had ever had - a big compliment considering the many cake experiments that have gone on in our house after his allergies were diagnosed. He also liked the spiky icing. Seriously. Delicious. Cake.

This was the only thing I bought from Sweetpea while on my trip because I was totally overwhelmed by all their choices! And because I am a fool! However, I'll be moving to Portland in a couple months and then I can spend everyday with my face pressed against their window. And I'll just say that if they want to hire me to taste test their food... well... I certainly wouldn't refuse.

No comments: