Friday, October 3, 2008

Day 3: Beats a BLT Sandwich!

From Eat, Drink, and Be Vegan
Holy crap, this sandwich filling is completely delicious. Tempeh bacon + tomatoes + avocados all smashed up and mixed together? Why was I not invited to this party earlier?

I've had tempeh bacon in the past, but I've never cooked it myself (I used Lightlife's "fakin' bacon"). The best part of cooking it myself is that I can cook it until it is actually crispy and just slightly burned, which is how I like everything that I fry/grill. I was a little bit short on tempeh bacon pieces for the recipe because I kept snacking on finished pieces while frying the rest. Taste-testing is a crucial part of cooking! Everyone knows that! Don't look at me!

This is one of those sandwiches that gets better with each bite. Until the very end, as you will be emotionally devastated when you realize that it is all gone.


Recipe!:

- 1 package Lightlife "Fakin' Bacon" Tempeh (about 1-1 1/4 cups)
- 1 cup tomatoes - chopped, seeds and juices lightly squeezed out [this was my favorite part - well, after eating the bacon]
- 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 cups avocado - diced small
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon or lime juice
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper - to taste
- 1/8 cup green onions - chopped
- 1/8 cup fresh parsley, cilantro, or basil - chopped [I used parsley]

In a non-stick frying pan, cook tempeh bacon according to package directions [or longer, if you like it crispy]. Let cool, then chop [it was easier for me to just break off small pieces]. In a large bowl, combine tempeh, tomatoes, avocado, lemon juice, salt, pepper, green onions, and parsley and mix well (squishing some avocado pieces helps to hold ingredients together). Season with additional pepper and/or more fresh herbs if desired. Spread mixture evenly on a slice of bread. On another slice, spread vegan mayonnaise [Vegenaise is the best choice, obviously], top with lettuce, and sandwich the two slices together.

Now, devour it as quickly as possible.

2 comments:

Sheree' said...

I have never cooked Tempeh nor tasted it. I really should you know. I didn't even know it came premade.Hmm thanks for the tip! Your sandwich is fantastic.

Nicole said...

Oh my gosh this looks PERFECT!