Wednesday, October 1, 2008

VeganMoFo. Also, Huge Peanut Butter Cookies. YES.

October might be one of the best months of the year solely because of VeganMoFo (Vegan Month of Food). My goal is to post every weekday but um... I don't know how likely that is. I do have a backlog of things to post (that I was maybe saving for this month, shut up) so, hey, who knows?


Onto the food!

Big Gigantoid Crunchy Peanut Butter-Oatmeal cookies from Vegan with a Vengeance.

I am going to tentatively state that peanut butter cookies are my favorite kind of cookies. But in order to declare it my favorite, I will first need to taste every kind of (vegan) cookie in the world. A mission!

Right. So. Holy crap, these cookies were so good. And huge! The recipe even says that it makes "about 12 huge-ass cookies". How could I resist? I tried to do a little size-referencing by photographing it with my hand. I could only eat half of a cookie at a time. My sugar tolerance has dropped since going vegan, which is probably a good thing but it makes me feel old.

Recipe!
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups rolled oats
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup canola oil
3/4 cup natural crunchy peanut butter [I used salted peanut butter, but cut back on the added salt]
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup vanilla soy milk [I used plain soy milk and added a little extra vanilla]
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease two cookie sheets.

2. Toss together the flour, oats, baking powder, and salt in a medium mixing bowl. In a large mixing bowl, mix together the oil, peanut butter, sugars, soy milk, and vanilla.

3. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix. The dough should be very difficult and moist. Pack a 1/3-cup measuring cup with dough, pop out and roll the dough into a firm ball and flatten just barely on a prepared cookie sheet, spacing the dough balls well apart. Lightly grease the bottom of a glass or heavy ceramic pie plate [I used the bottom of a Pyrex mixing bowl]; press the cookies to flatten to a 1/2-inch thickness. Bake for 12-15 minutes until cookies have puffed a bit and are lightly browned. Allow to cool for at least ten minutes before moving off the cookie sheet. [Leaving them to firm is really important - I was worried that the cookies weren't quite done, but after leaving them for 10 minutes they were perfect]

6 comments:

Bex said...

There is just nothing like a peanut butter cooking the size of your face to make your day right.

Kati said...

Cookies too big for your hand...mmmmm! I've always avoided making these because of the "crunchy" in the title, but I may have to honor my love of peanut butter and oatmeal and go for it. It's like my vegan duty or something.

Zoey said...

Hi Stephanie,

I found your blog through Vegan Mofo.

Wow those cookies look good, if I didn't have to get ready for class I would be making them right now. In fact, for a moment I even considered skipping class to make them :)

Perhaps tonight!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I've never seen a picture of these and how gigantic they really are!

erica said...

Those look great! I've never tried that recipe, but this post has inspired me!

Zoey said...

Hi Stephanie,

I made these cookies over the weekend but I didn't make them giant. Turns out the recipe makes about 50 smaller cookies. You can check out pictures on my blog here if you are interested:

http://www.zoeyskitchen.com/2008/10/peanut-butter-cookies.html

Thank you for sharing this recipe!