Monday, October 6, 2008

Day 6: Chocolate Cake

Isa posted this on her blog awhile back (recipe here!). It looked very yummy and, for once, I had all of the ingredients on hand so hooray! Little did I know that this cake would spell disaster for me. Read on!

Okay, first I should write about the cake and not my turmoil. This cake is simple, yet fudgy and decadent. Usually I only make ganache as a topping to drizzle on buttercream icing, so I was expecting something much thinner. Instead it was thick and wonderful (OR WAS IT?!).

Onto my pain! The chocolate-overload that is this cake managed to set off some sort of latent chocolate intolerance or allergy or something else equally dreadful. I'm pretty sure that it's just an intolerance and not an actual allergy (my family has a lot of food allergy experience), so that's good. I think if I only eat a little bit of chocolate every once in awhile then I'm fine. For example, the little chocolate shavings in ice cream don't bother me, but cake/brownies/cookies and even my beloved chocolate hemp milk are going to have to be shelved for the time being. Don't worry! We can get through this. Together.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh no chocolate intolerance totally sucks...especially if I look at that amazing cake.

Lisa -- Cravin' Veggies said...

I have food allergies/issues too. I really need to go to an allergist to get them properly diagnosed. I would cry if chocolate was one of them.

Bex said...

aww, that's no good.
That cake looks so good though.

Unknown said...

Chocolate cake is a common dessert cake served at many gatherings such as birthday parties and weddings, that contains chocolate. There are many different types of chocolate cake depending on the alteration of the ingredients and chocolate flavoring. The intensity of chocolate is a leading factor in chocolate cakes, especially for devil's food cake. The versatility of chocolate cake has made it a favorite in many homes.
------------
Lara

Guaranteed ROI

Unknown said...

Chocolate cake is the basis for many desserts and traditional cakes. A traditional American approach is either a chocolate or vanilla frosting like butter cream. Professional chefs and home bakers alike have experimented with adapting the chocolate cake to unique flavors.
---------------
Hollie


Guaranteed ROI

Unknown said...

Chocolate cake can be applied to most cakes made with varying amounts of chocolate or cocoa, the most common chocolate cake in the United States is a butter cake. A European chocolate Génoise Cake gives a sponge texture with minimal amounts of fat. Flourless chocolate cake is also a popular type, though denser than most cakes. Red velvet cake is also considered a chocolate cake, though it has been adapted without the inclusion of chocolate.
------------------
Rain


Guaranteed ROI